Sunday, October 4, 2015

Flickering Streetlights

This one came to me one day as I walked around my neighborhood.

Flickering Streetlights

Samantha and Rick walked down the street as the sun went down. They were both thirteen and have practically grown up together since Preschool. The girl had a rough day at school. One of the older kids discovered a baby bracelet in her gym locker. She held that bracelet close to her heart because it was the last object her grandmother gave to her before she had a heart attack and passed away. Her parents have shared many stories about her dear grandmother and every day Samantha wishes she got to spend more time with her. The older teens teased her for acting like an infant then threw the bracelet into the toilet. Fortunately, she managed to punch the crony that was going to flush it down the pipe. But since Samantha used violence, she got an automatic two-hour detention.

At least she didn't have to walk home in the dark alone. Rick has always lingered around and waited for her no matter what. They were halfway home when one of the older teens from earlier appeared from a dark alleyway with fear in her eyes. She screamed at the sight of Samantha and Rick then froze. "Oh, it's just you two." Rick stood in front of Samantha and crossed his arms. "What do you want, Ashleigh?" The frightened teen straightened up and said, "I don't want anything from you two dorks." Samantha tentatively asked, "Then why are you here? Don't you live on the other side of town?" Ashleigh glanced from side to side then leaned forward and whispered, "I was running from.." Rick tilted his head. "From what?" The older teen said, "I don't know.. I don't know what it was... But one minute I was on my way home then a streetlight above me turned off and the next I was running from some weird... thing... and then I bumped into you two."

Samantha asked, "You ran all the way over here?" Ashleigh scoffed, "I didn't exactly have a choice. I was trying to get away from the monster and I didn't want it to know where I live! Now, if you'll excuse me, I am going to use the payphone across the street and call my dad for a ride home." She bumped their shoulders as she passed by and walked off with her head held high.

Rick and Samantha stared after her. Then Rick grabbed Samantha's hand and pulled her along. "Come on, didn't you say that your mom was making a chicken casserole tonight? I bet it will be better than my mom's meatloaf from last night." Samantha scrunched up her nose, "I don't know about that. I really like the sauce your mom uses for her meat. My mom just covers hers with lots of cheese. I can barely taste the chicken!" The two of them laughed as they continued walking.

A streetlight ahead of them flickered. Samantha balked and pulled her friend to a stop as well. "Rick, what was that?" Rick shrugged. "Beats me. I didn't see anything." They took a few more steps and the streetlight in front of them flickered once more and the girl could have sworn she actually saw a dark, unnatural shadow this time. It seemed to only form within the dark. She froze again. Rick gently tugged on her hand. "Come on, let's go." Samantha shook her head, "No. What if Ashleigh was right? What if she really did see a monster in the dark?" Rick said, "Sammie, she's just trying to scare you. We aren't little kids anymore. We both know monsters don't exist and they definitely wouldn't be out in the open like this." She whispered, "But it isn't exactly out in the open... It lurks in the dark." He glanced at the streetlight that has stopped flickering. "Sammie, we're safe. See? The streetlight is working just fine." He pulled on her hand once more. She quietly suggested, "Let's cross the street and use the streetlights over there instead. Please?" He sighed, "If you say so... You know, if something did appear. Some kind of big, scary ol' monster, I would beat it to a pulp before it touched you!" She laughed, "Oh really? Your arms are nothing but noodles! But thanks for trying to reassure me. Let's go."

They crossed the street and walked past a few more houses and alleyways until a long series of streetlights above them and all around them turned off. She screamed and clutched onto Rick. The male teen said, "Sam! It's okay! I'm still here! Nothing is gonna get you." When nothing happened, she reluctantly released him but still kept her left hand in his right. "Rick, please don't let go." She whispered. Rick said, "Ashleigh's really got you scared? Maybe you have been watching too many Doctor Who episodes-OW!" "Don't you dare tell me to cut back on watching my Tenant with his blue box!" "Sorry. I'm sorry. You didn't have to slug me so hard... And um... You can stop pinching my left arm now too." "Rick..I'm only holding your right hand.." "Wha-AHHHHH!" His hand was suddenly yanked out of hers. "RICK!" She screeched and groped about in the dark, searching for her friend's hand, arm, any kind of body part that belonged to her childhood friend. "RI-AHHH!"

The streetlights flicker back on. There was nothing left on the sidewalk.

Since tomorrow is Sunday, I shall have a special story prepared for all of you to enjoy. I wrote it just for fun one Halloween a couple of years ago. Several family members and friends gave excellent reviews. It is called Death's Pet.

No comments:

Post a Comment