Friday, May 6, 2011

Soar


Each time I pick up this guitar,
I experience a joy beyond measure.
I carefully pluck each string,
treating each sound like a treasure.

Gradually, I pick up the pace.
Speeding up, creating a melody.
Stumbling here and there, still learning.
While playing, I feel serenity.

I pick at more strings, tap a few beats,
changing techniques, and following my heart.
Exploration is my middle name, it's what I do.
This is something that can never be torn apart.

I may not know the chords,
I may not know the beats.
But what I do know is this,
This guitar is sweet.

I've moved from instrument to instrument,
I've done drums, piano, recorder and guitar.
I can't play most music, haven't gotten many lessons.
The recorder is the only one I really know so far.

I've visited the drums a few times,
Got the beat, learned the rhythm.
Although, I just can't truly feel it. It's not me.
But Ringo Starr certainly has it with him.

I know a few keys on the piano,
Can't play a true full song,
But I can sing while playing,
And yet it still feels wrong.



I've played the recorder as a child,
I have three years of practice as proof,
but sometimes it just feels like a chore.
The recorder doesn't make me feel very aloof.

So, here I sit, with this guitar, strumming notes.
I can play forever without knowing the time.
I just get mesmerized by the sweet sounds.
While playing, I've come up with this rhyme.

"As long as I play this guitar,
the world no longer matters to me.
It's just me and this wooden instrument.
Creating my own little melodies."

Sometimes I like to mimic other players,
Attempt to play their songs,
But I still don't know the notes,
I play by sound, but not for long.

Someday, I'll learn all the chords,
With more practice, I'm sure I can play.
This little wooden friend, this guitar,
It won't be going anywhere; it's here to stay.

The feeling is almost unexplainable.
Each time I play.. My spirit begins to soar.
Everything disappears; it's just me and this guitar.
That's what this poem is for.

No comments:

Post a Comment