Friday, July 20, 2012

Stay Strong

Written on 3/14/11


Sitting in a large room,
I look about, with a little smile.
I'm safe and my friends are here.
That only lasts for a short while..

With just a little uttered word,
My world turns upside down.
A sudden volley of memories,
Surrounds me and I drown.

Ah, don't you just love it,
when blocked memories appear?
Recently, they've been popping up,
Some things suddenly get more clear.

I gasp out short breaths,
My hands clench into fists.
I blink several times
Everything seems to go amiss.

I sit as still as I can be,
I do not, will not cry.
No, not here, not now.
Gotta stay strong, gotta try.

Who cares about the memories?
It's all in the past, am I right?
Everybody deserves another chance.
Shouldn't the future be bright?

I must stay strong,
I should stay strong.
I need to stay strong.
I have to stay strong.

Don't cry, never cry.
Don't do it, no.
Not here, not now.
That's all I know.

I keep telling myself,
That I should stay strong.
When it comes to these things,
Usually I'm not wrong.

Just hang in there,
Forget about it,
Think happy thoughts.
Calm down, just sit.

Need to forgive others.
The past is the past,
Everything's better now.
Bad things never last.

I'm not alone, never alone.
I have plenty of friends,
I've got family too.
They're nearby to the very end.

Not only do I have these things,
Jesus Christ’s also on my side.
So long as I have faith in Him,
I can swim against any tide.

Slowly, things start to improve.
I can breathe again, I can breathe.
Things aren't as bad as they seem.
Nothing's going to make me seethe.

Here I am once more, in the room
I am safe. nothing will harm me.
My emotions are in check again.
It's just all in my head, you see.

No comments:

Post a Comment